Such an honor! MANTA was short-listed in Beyond Sport Awards 2017.
See the photo.
Beyond Sport today announced their annual Beyond Sport Global Awards Official Shortlist, showcasing 37 organizations that are successfully using sport to promote and achieve the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDG’s).
The 37 shortlisted organizations highlight a diverse portfolio of work, from organizations raising awareness of endangered marine habitats through sailing with fishermen in Vietnam; to the use of triathlon in empowering adolescent girls in Long Island; to a ground-breaking digital media training program which uses football to provide underserved youth with the skills, support and a public platform to make their voices heard. This year’s shortlist represents issues such as: health, gender, STEM education, equality, climate change, accessibility and inclusion, tech and employability.
As the global force for sustainable social change through sport, Beyond Sport overhauled the Awards this year to align with the UN SDG’s. The move came from Beyond Sport’s belief that that using sport is an effective and game-changing approach to addressing extreme poverty, inequality and climate change.
Through calling on any organization, program, campaign, initiative, brand, sports team or league to share how they are using sport to take action for the Global Goals, Beyond Sport received over 250 entries, representing 70 countries and 40 sports.
Being shortlisted for a Beyond Sport Global Award is a huge achievement. These organizations are heralded within the Beyond Sport network, of over 2,500 projects in 148 countries, they receive exclusive media opportunities, facilitated partnership introductions, resource possibilities, and promotional activities. The success of being shortlisted helps these organizations create a sustainable platform to continue contributing to the UN SDG’s through sport, throughout the World.
Shortlisted representatives will receive a complimentary pass to attend the annual Beyond Sport Awards Ceremony and Beyond Sport United conference from July 26th – 27th in New York City, including logistical planning and support.
View the full Beyond Sport Global Awards Official Shortlist below.
BEYOND SPORT GLOBAL AWARDS OFFICIAL SHORTLIST 2017
Sport for Health and Well-being
- Let Her Choose – Tackle Africa Tanzania
- Imagine Your Goals – Everton in the Community Global
- i-tri: Transformation through Triathlon – i-tri Girls USA
Sport for Quality Education and Employment Award
- Alive and Kicking Kenya, Ghana, Zambia
- Giovanni van Bronckhorst Foundation Netherlands
- Refugee Girls and Innovation – YALLA USA
Sport for Equality Award
- Rurka Kalan – YFC Rurka Kalan India
- Sainsburys Inclusive PE Training (IPE) Programme – English Federation of Disability Sport UK
- Colourful Girls Volleyball Circles – Girls Determined Burma
- Hockey is for Everyone – NHL USA and Canada
Sport for Peace and Social Justice Award
- Football for Peace and Reconciliation – streetfootballworld Colombia
- Mi Vida es un Diamante – MVD (My Life is a Diamond) – Grupo Internacional de Paz Colombia and Mexico
- Playing for Peace Stopping the Violence and Bridging the Gang Divide on the Streets of Chicago – New Life Centers of Chicagoland USA
- Honor Award – Value Sports Israel
Sport for Sustainable Cities & Communities Award
- Safe Spaces – love.futbol Global
- Northeast Kids – Hutt City Council New Zealand
- Etnoglia. Open football – Open City – Fundacja dal Wolnosci Poland
- Regent Park Athletic Grounds – MLSE Foundation USA
Best Corporate Campaign or Initiative in Sport for Good
- MLSE Foundation – MLSE Launchpad Toronto, Canada
- Unilever – Connected by the City Brazil
- Chevron – Inspiring future innovators through STEM and sports USA
Global Impact of the Year Award
- Skateistan Asia, Africa
- Women Win – Advancing the Playing Field for Gender Equity Africa, Asia, N America, S America
- Coaches Across Continents – Global Impact on Six Continents
Best Partnership or Collaboration
- Aspire to be Deadly, Empower Me – Cairns Hockey Association Australia
- National Alliance of Sport for the Desistance of Crime (NASDC) – 2nd Chance Group Global
- Pass It Back – ChildFund Australia Asia
- Team Dimension Data for Qhubeka #bicycleschangelives – Qhubeka Global
Sport for Innovation and Tech Award
- NBA and Discovery Education Team Up for a Math Slam Dunk! USA
- FBB TV: Youth Voices – Football Beyond Borders UK
- Station Soccer – Soccer in the Streets Atlanta, USA
Sport for Climate Action
- Protect Our Winters Global
- Sacramento Kings, Golden 1 Center USA
- Vietnamese Fishermen coach water-sports and climate change survival skill – MANTA Sail Training Centre Vietnam
UNICEF Safeguarding Children in Sport Award
- Pass It Back – ChildFund Australia Laos, Philippines and Vietnam
- SafeStamp – Caribbean Sport and Development Agency Caribbean
- Pacific Sports Partnerships Pacific Islands and Australia